docbook: OpenOffice.org 1.1RC & DocBook

Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org 1.1RC & DocBook
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 21 Jul 2003 07:54:44 -0000

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 00:07, jdd wrote:
> Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> > Well you got a heck of a lot farther than I did.  For the heck of it, I
> > tried OO1.1 for Windows.  The darn thing couldn't even install.
>
> what version of windows? I'm member of the (french) dev mailing list and
> never saw this problem. never had myself on W98

XP home edition.  Don't get upset, it came preloaded!  Not to worry, I
have a RH8 machine that I use remotely from Windows.  I think the
problem was the archive - the install was looking for cab files that
were higher than what was provided.

>   things.  I don't even know how the JRE works on a Windows machine - it's
> > so much simpler in Linux.  It's installed, it's there.
>
> wrong. jre is not installed by default on most Linux distro (of course
> depends of what you chooses at install) - mostly ooorc needs a very
> recent jre (at least 4.2.x, better use the very last)

What I meant was...I installed it, therefore it's there.  I can point
programs to Java on my Linux machine because I put it there, not like
with Windows.  Isn't it built in with Windows?  Regardless, I didn't
have a clue how I was supposed to tell OO where to find Java on my
Windows machine when it asked during the install, so I had to tell it to
install with no JRE.  Then it couldn't find all those
missing/non-existent files, so I just said forget it!

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com