docbook: What is needed when using xml and ldp xsl files?

Subject: Re: What is needed when using xml and ldp xsl files?
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 21 Jul 2003 08:14:56 -0000

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 00:45, Alasdair Hatfield wrote:
> I am finding it difficult to determine a clear path to create documents
> acceptable to tldp. I fully understand the wish to keep choices open to
> encourage people to participate in their preferred way but this has led to
> some confusion on my part. Probably not difficult.
> There are a whole host of how-to's and similar documents providing
> information and advice. The problem is that as one reads more of them, one
> comes across more and more contradictions. This is not surprising as
> different people have found different ways of doing things. As none of the
> documents appears definitive, it is not possible to just follow one and
> disregard the others. I understand that this is a subject which one can not
> just sit down and write the perfect how-to for before breakfast but for the
> future, it might be worth looking at tidying up these documents into a
> smaller number of more coherent guides. I know I should volunteer at this
> point but I am so muddled in my understanding that I think I would only cause
> further confusion. I can't even build a how-to at the moment.  :-)This brings
> me onto some nitty-gritty I need some help with.

As a matter of fact, we are looking for reviewers who may be interested
in working on an entire subject (kind of the way they're laid out by
category at the LDP), taking a look at the HOWTOs currently in the
collection, and working with all authors into streamlining so that
coverage on subjects is more organized and coherent.  It's a big job,
and we never seem to have enough people to help with reviews, but try
and be more discerning about what's ADDED.

> With reading and help from this forum (for which thanks), I have worked out
> that the preferred route forward to create new documents is using XML. OK.
>
> What do I need:-
>
> I have made a clean installation of openjade 1.3.2
> I have found Norman Walsh's -xsl stylesheets (v 1.78) and installed them.
> I have also installed the tldp-xsl stylesheets (10JUL2003).

Typically I've always seen openjade run using DSSSL (.dsl) stylesheets
rather than XSL.  For XSL you should be using xsltproc.

But if you go the openjade route you might want to try Jim Weller's
Quickstart Guide (www.jimweller.net).  The .dsl stylesheets for LDP are
at the LDP of course.

> I have edited the tldp-xsl files to point to where the N Walsh stylesheets
> are.
>
> My source file is based on 'Sample-HOWTO.xml'.

> # Compile rules.
>
> $(HTM_FILE): $(XML_FILE)
>     $(JADE) -t sgml -d $(XSL_HTML_CHUNK) $(DCL_XML) $(XML_FILE)
>
> $(HTML_FILE): $(XML_FILE)
>     $(JADE) -t sgml -V nochunks -d $(XSL_HTML_WHOLE) $(DCL_XML) $(XML_FILE) >
> $(HTML_FILE)

When I use openjade and the ldp.dsl on an XML file, I use the following
command (bearing in mind your own directories):

openjade -t xml -d $SGMLHOME/ldp.dsl $SGMLHOME/xml.dcl file.xml

Using xsltproc, I use this command:

No Chunks:
xsltproc -o outputfile.html --docbook $SGMLHOME/ldp-html.xsl file.xml

Chunks:
xsltproc -o directory/ --docbook $SGMLHOME/ldp-html-chunk.xsl file.xml
(you have to create the target directory before you run the above)

On my RH8 box, I have a nifty little command called xsltproc_parse,
which will tell me the errors and on which lines in my xml file, and I
can use that with XEmacs and PSGML mode to correct the mistakes and get
it right.

I only run commands to process into html, there is no "make" to what I
do, so I can't tell you what is causing your errors.  But I hope the
above information helps you in some way!

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com