docbook: making an entity

Subject: Re: making an entity
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 2003 22:34:14 -0000

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 04:15:58PM -0500, Martin A. Brown wrote:
> How are you liking DocBook so far?

It's very verbose. :) On the one hand I love it because the markup exactly
describes what I'm doing with the text. But I also hate it because I have
to figure out what the appropriate tags are for *everything*.

> Internal Subset:

I've used this one for now. As far as I know there's only the only block of
text that is repeated more than once. Plus this method is much easier to
wrap my head around. ;) I adjusted the url="" to be url='' and then
changed the text apostrophe to an entity.

> this), you should include any ending tags for tags you begin
> inside any general entity.

Yup.

> *  Some xslt processors (xsltproc, for example) will not see this ulink
>    tag as improper markup, although it's missing a required attribute, so
>    if you are using xsltproc, be prepared to watch it dump core unless you
>    have an URL in the url attribute.

Ok. I doubt I'll try to validate it before I have that text re-written.
I'm still trying to figure out where that text ought to go. It's currently
at the end of the document and I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

> It's entirely up to you to decide which one seems more natural for you.  I
> generally try to include markup in the entity itself, especially since I am
> essentially using the entities as macros.

Since both instances are notes, I've decided to include the <note> as part
of the entity. If I ever have something that could be a note or a warning
(for example) then I might do things differently.

> I would also recommend the sagehill documentation on DocBook and XSLT [2],
> if you haven't already found it.

I had but I'd glossed over it since it seemed to be entirely about
converting files once the SGML file is finished.

thanks for your help :)

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin