docbook: Maintaining/updating the LDP XSLT stylesheets

Subject: Re: Maintaining/updating the LDP XSLT stylesheets
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 2003 22:30:27 -0000

Dan York wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We need a new maintainer for the LDP XSLT stylesheets.
>
> As I mentioned in another message, the LDP XSLT stylesheets that are
> a customization layer on top of the 'standard' DocBook XSLT stylesheets.
> When I last updated them, they were based on version 1.44 of the DocBook
> stylesheets.  I see on:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21935
>
> that the stylesheets are now up to 1.61.2.  I know, from a report, that
> the LDP stylesheets don't work with the latest as it sounds like the way
> documentation in the standard stylesheets is done has changed - and my
> layer just copied/pasted some of that code.
>
> So someone needs to install the latest docbook-xsl, install the ldp.xsl,
> and then test the various pages to see if the HTML generation actually
> works... and then, of course, fix it and roll a new ldp.xsl that can be
> referenced off of:
>
>   http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/usingldpxsl.html
>
> The thing is... it can no longer be me.  I'm no longer working with
> DocBook on a daily basis (or even doing documentation) and I simply
> have no cycles to do much of anything to help out.
>
> As that page in the LAG indicates, ldp-print.xsl also needs work as it
> has never been touched.  The idea was to give it the print options similar
> to what is in ldp.dsl.
>
> Anyway, the stylesheets need to be updated... and we need someone to
> do it.
>
> Regards,
> Dan

Dan,

I have only been working with docbook XSLT for a very short time, but I
would be willing to take a stab at updating the ldp-html.xsl files.  If
you have any notes or references lying around, please send them to me.
I would be especially interested in a short description of the process
you used to translate from dsl to xsl.  Anything would be helpful.
Otherwise I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me.

Dave