docbook: Re: LDP XSLT stylesheet (was Re: Gnome Help 2.0)

Subject: Re: LDP XSLT stylesheet (was Re: Gnome Help 2.0)
From: Gregory Leblanc ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2001 18:13:26 -0000

On 18 Jul 2001 13:59:36 -0400, Dan York wrote:
> Folks,
>
> > into HTML for rendering.  I certainly agree that customizations are
> > needed, since the GNOME customizations probably aren't appropraite for
> > the LDP docs, and vice-versa.  I'm not sure how we'll find the
> > stylesheets, perhaps John can answer better than I.
>
> Okay, am I the *only* one from here subscribed to the ####@####.####
> mailing list?  I sent out a sample LDP XSLT stylesheet to that list back
> on July 5th:
>
> http://list.linuxdoc.org/archive/index.htm?2:mss:101:200107:blelgagecbakmkflfgfc
>
> There were *no* comments about it, so I assumed everyone else was either:
> a) too busy; or b) not experimenting with XSLT.  I guess I did not
> consider that there could be "c) most people are not subscribed to the list".

Oops.  I'm subscribed, but seem to have misplaced that email.

> I named the stylesheet 'ldp-html-chunk.xsl' because it chunks out a
> DocBook XML document into many different (linked) HTML files.  Rather

The -chunk in the filename isn't "required" to get chunking anymore,
from what I've been reading, although I haven't had time to play with
xslt in a few days to try it out.

> than the style of 'ldp.dsl' where we have a single stylesheet that is
> called differently for print and HTML, I would recommend that we have
> different stylesheets for use depending on whether you want to chunk
> the document or create a single HTML page.

What are the benefits of doing this?  I can't see any immediately, but
I'm sure they exist, just out of site.

> And since the single HTML page and chunking would be identical except
> for the underlying file from Norm's stylesheets that is called
> ('docbook.xsl' vs. 'chunk.xsl'), it might be worthwhile to have
> an 'ldp-html-common.xsl' that was then imported into
> 'ldp-html-chunk.xsl' and 'ldp-html-single.xsl'.  Each of those two
> files could simply be something like (depending on paths):

Ah, I think I see now.  This sounds pretty workable to me.

> In any event, here's an XSLT customization layer for folks to try out.
> It should do most of what ldp.dsl does.

Thanks Dan!  I'll give it a look as soon as I get the chance.
	Greg