docbook: Re: LDP XSLT stylesheet (was Re: Gnome Help 2.0)

Subject: Re: LDP XSLT stylesheet (was Re: Gnome Help 2.0)
From: Dan York ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2001 19:35:32 -0000

Greg,

Yes, and interestingly, I sent my message to ####@####.#### and
you replied back to ####@####.####  Fun, fun, fun..

> > I named the stylesheet 'ldp-html-chunk.xsl' because it chunks out a
> > DocBook XML document into many different (linked) HTML files.  Rather
>
> The -chunk in the filename isn't "required" to get chunking anymore,
> from what I've been reading, although I haven't had time to play with
> xslt in a few days to try it out.

Correct.  It is no longer required as of Norm's 1.41 stylesheets. I kept
it in the filename because it seemed to make sense to do.

> > than the style of 'ldp.dsl' where we have a single stylesheet that is
> > called differently for print and HTML, I would recommend that we have
> > different stylesheets for use depending on whether you want to chunk
> > the document or create a single HTML page.
>
> What are the benefits of doing this?  I can't see any immediately, but
> I'm sure they exist, just out of site.
<snip>
> Ah, I think I see now.  This sounds pretty workable to me.

The major issue is that Norm changed the way he does stylesheets from
DSSSL to XSL.  With the DSSSL stylesheets, regardless of whether you
wanted to generate a single HTML file or multiple HTML files, you still
called "html/docbook.dsl"... well, actually, as I think about it, the
DSSSL stylesheets **ONLY** generated multiple HTML files. You had to call
(open)jade with "-V nochunks" to get a single HTML file.

With the XSL stylesheets, the behavior is reversed. If you call
'html/docbook.xsl', you get a *single* HTML file.  You have to call
'html/chunk.xsl' to generate multiple HTML files.  Thus, we will need
to have multiple stylesheets depending on whether someone wants to chunk
out the file or not.

> > In any event, here's an XSLT customization layer for folks to try out.
> > It should do most of what ldp.dsl does.
>
> Thanks Dan!  I'll give it a look as soon as I get the chance.

No problem.  I just did it as a learning exercise and thought it might
be useful to others.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        ####@####.####
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739