discuss: Author / Maintainer - how to distinguish?

Subject: Re: Author / Maintainer - how to distinguish?
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 3 May 2001 12:49:31 -0000

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 12:41:28PM +0200, Roel van Meer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago i started writing the LDAP Implementation HOWTO. Another
> person, Giuseppe Lo Biondo, has contributed some writings to this doc,
> and he put his name at the top, stating him as author too. This has been
> about six months ago. Actually, i haven't been able to contact him since
> then, but i did meet him at the OSDEM in Brussels this year. SO he is
> alive, he's just not reading his mail i guess.
>
> The question i have:
> How should i state that i am the one responsible for updates and the
> like. Should i put this in the text somewhere for people to read, or
> should it be part of the articleinfo somehow? i could, of course, just
> take his name out of the articleinfo and credit him in the text, but he
> did write a part of it, so that might be unfair.

It all depends on the amount of contribution. If it was really
significant, listing as a co-author is appropriate.

> Ideas?

Lots of authors include a section called `Feedback' where they list
that information. Of course readers will still write to any email
addresses that appear on the first page, so if you don't want to
receive any email it is best to not include it there.

If for some reason you don't have your email listed in the document,
then include it within a comment so we at the LDP can find you.

HTH,

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

Try `stty 0' -- it works much better.