discuss: Formats

Subject: Re: Formats
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Feb 2016 16:18:51 +0000

Hello there,

>> Should LDP accept all formats?  No.
>
>Hold that thought for a moment.
>
>> First of all, a doc needs to contain the authors name, email (perhaps
>> scrambled), and date of revision and a perhaps a note as to whether or
>> not the revision is minor.
>
>So, if a good submission arrived in, say, plaintext or HTML that
>lacked those elements, we volunteers would say something like
>'Terrific contribution, and thank you!  By the way, what's the
>author's name, date of revision, and by the way is the revision
>minor?' Right?  I think the answer to that question is 'yes'.  So,
>in effect, that submision would be gratefully resceived and we-all
>would add the missing elements as prompted from the submitter.
>
>(My recollection is that LDP also learned from past neglect about
>explicit licensing terms, and would politely pursue the submitter
>to secure a grant of some forkable-permissions licensing terms from
>the copyright holder before merging the doc into LDP's collection.
>Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

Yes.  This is the same old song about ensuring the document comes
with a sensible (for our stewardship) license.

And, thanks to jdd and mhydra for listing them out a few years ago.

  http://wiki.tldp.org/Page_Status

(I would love to have a way to extract the license name from each of
the documents in the code repository.  Kind of like the DOAP entries
in Python's PyPI packages or Perl's CPAN bundles.  Something for
the future.)

>BTW, I will conditionally volunteer to help convert into reasonable
>formats promising submissions arriving in strange format.
>('Conditionally' means I reserve the right to say I'm busy or
>otherwise unavailable at particular times, and of course there are
>many strange formats I cannot parse, and possibly some for which
>I'd turn out to lack time and patience.)

Excellent, Rick!

Thank you,

-Martin

--