discuss: Formats

Subject: Re: Formats
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Feb 2016 16:19:59 +0000

Hello,

>> It's really that simple, though I can't promise you that tweaks won't be
>> required to get the file perfect. Pandoc isn't the only tool that does
>> this kind of thing, but it's quite mature and is still being developed.
>> I think it's a great solution to write how you want without needing to
>> bicker over formats.

>When mentioning all feasible markup formats (including plain text
>which needs to have at least and author and date) in LAG there
>needs to be a link to other pages briefly describing their markup
>(with examples), etc and hopefully containing enough info to get
>someone started writing.

>Also, what about mentioning the how-to generator at :
>   Linkname: The LDP HOWTO Generator

>Does this work OK now?  It uses a template with instructions in the
>template to create linuxdoc.

I'll try out the LDP HOWTO Generator.  It is always nice to have an
example.

On examples, we have (in the repository currently):

  howto/linuxdoc/Template-Linuxdoc-Small-HOWTO.sgml
  howto/linuxdoc/Template-Linuxdoc-Big-HOWTO.sgml
  howto/docbook/Template-Big-HOWTO/Template-Big-HOWTO.sgml

[I plan on switching Template-Big-HOWTO.sgml to DocBook XML 4.x.]

>The post by jdd on this format thread is correct.  There is just no
>way to create a Docbook file from say an html format.  html has no
>section heads unless one has used the size of font to imply a
>section head in html. html doesn't require an author or date, etc.

There probably are all sorts of tools for converting one way to
another.  It makes sense to me to prefer storing documents in our
repository in 'single-source' style documents, which can generate
(directly), the desired outputs.

That's part of the reason why we have accepted Linuxdoc and DocBook
(SGML and XML) variants in the past.

>Should LDP accept all formats?  No. First of all, a doc needs to contain the
>authors name, email (perhaps scrambled), and date of revision and a
>perhaps a note as to whether or not the revision is minor.  There should
>be preferred formats and a few formats that we suggest for authors who
>have never used a format (other that plain text such as in email).
>that doesn't convert to others

Probably old news, but the LDP current supported formats (and
preference status):

  preferred  Linuxdoc
  preferred  DocBook XML 4.x
  accepted   DocBook SGML 4.x
  accepted   DocBook SGML 3.x
  retired    WikiText [0]

I hope we can add another one or two soon.  I really like the
single-source types, myself,

-Martin

 [0] Per discussion on this list a few weeks ago....

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/