discuss: anybody here used DocBook 5.0?

Previous by date: 9 Feb 2016 17:07:59 +0000 Re: LAG changes, multiple formats; DocBook 5.0 was [ My rejected "replacement" for the Author Guide, Mark Komarinski

Subject: anybody here used DocBook 5.0?
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2016 17:07:59 +0000

Hello all,

Has anybody here used DocBook 5.0 yet?  I have not.

I have skimmed through parts of the DocBook 5.0 transition guide:

  http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/

My observations:

  * The namespace bits seem powerful and one of the big reasons
    anybody would choose DocBook 5.0.  My lay understanding is that
    this allows multiple XML vocabularies to be used intermixed in
    a single document.

  * The toolchain looks largely the same as the xsltproc + XSL
    toolchain that I've grown accustomed to using with DocBook XML.

  * I saw xlink:href elements in some DocBook 4.x documents in our
    collection and wondered why somebody had used that notation.
    Now, I know.  This would be a valid declaration for a DocBook
    5.0 document in which somebody wanted to included links to,
    let's say, other websites:

      <article xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" version="5.0"

Anyway, I'm asking if anybody else has used DocBook 5.0 and would
share any (other) tips, pointers, Makefiles, CLI invocations or such
jazz.

-Martin

P.S. Yes, I'm also lurking on the public docbook and docbook-apps
  mailing lists where the DocBook standard and some of the
  toolchains are discussed.  Hoping to osmotically absorb some
  knowledge there.

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/