discuss: Plain text documents

Subject: Re: Plain text documents
From: Roger ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2016 19:27:42 +0000

> On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 01:35:43AM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
>These two quotes were fro the "History of LDP" thread
>> David Lawyer wrote
>> I agree but one nice feature about linuxdoc (seldom used anymore) or
>> wikis is that they automatically create a table of contents.  If there
>> is no such table in a doc, one can as a substitute type in words to
>> search the doc but a table of contents is sometimes easier to use to
>> find what you are looking for (or for something of interest you were
>> not looking for):.
>>
>> On 2/4/2016 10:46 AM, David Niklas wrote:
>> Many people create their own TOC in txt docs, some of them IMHO are very
>> pretty :)
>>
>> Sincerely, David

>The simplest idea would jest be to keep it a .txt file and not convert it to
>linuxdoc.  The problem with the above proposal is that it doesn't support
>lists or tables

Ditto. Keep it simple, or adhere to standards first.

Publish a simple ascii/txt file.

What I usually see done is an HTML file converted backwards to a simple markup
text.  Headings and sub-headings can be easily found within HTML files versus
text only files.  So running a script on an HTML file to back-port the file to
text only, but with simple mark-up headings for table of contents.  Similar to
what Amazon's Kindlegen performs when converting HTML to Mobi/PRC files, albeit
proprietary.  I would think something simlar can be easily performed within
Linux (and likely already can be performed) using a simple script (ie.
AWK/GAWK) for converting HTML to a simplified text only with some markup
commands.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/