discuss: Getting Started With Working With Git

Subject: Re: Getting Started With Working With Git
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2016 15:22:11 +0000

Hello and good morning all,

David> Also, I want to mention that the above paragraph which discusses
David> individual howtos, doesn't belong on the discuss list.  The high traffic
David> on the discuss list in the past that was not related to ldp policy and
David> progress turned off a lot of contributors from subscribing to it or
David> reading it.  I hope the same mistake isn't made again.  One person should
David> handle details on individual documents unless there is controversy about
David> the document.

Mark> Sounds fair.  I envision that once you get in touch with someone who can do
Mark> the merge for you that this discussion can take place off list.  No need
Mark> for the entire discuss list to see it.

Randy>Interesting.  I feel just the opposite, I'll discuss why below.
Randy>
Randy>Maybe we need two mailing lists, one for ldp policy (possiby to be
Randy>named ####@####.#### and one for discussion (perhaps of
Randy>documents??), maybe named ####@####.#### ;-)
Randy>
Randy>My arguments may start out a little disjointed / disorganized,
Randy>maybe just some bullet points at first:
Randy>
Randy>   * how will anyone know something is controversial before the
Randy>     publication ofa howto (or other document) unless some of the
Randy>     points of contention (discussion) between a reviewer and a
Randy>     writer are publicized to some degree?
Randy>
Randy>That's all I'll say for now.  A;though I may add more later.  I
Randy>(we) don't want to see a repetition of the C++ Howto which was
Randy>written by one author and apparently never reviewed by anyone until
Randy>I tried reading it to learn something.  It was ridiculous.  (I
Randy>apologize in advance--I might be mis- remembering, it might have
Randy>been the (or a) C howto.)

OK, no objection here.  Idea of separating the realms seems sound,
although at our current amount of list traffic and discussions, I
wonder about the need.  But, it doesn't hurt, I don't think to
create a new mailing list.

My one thought is that ####@####.#### has been the main place
for overall policy, procedure, license and what-should-we-do
conversations in the past.  I have a slight preference to retain
that function of this list.  It's still open to all.

Here's my proposal (along with some implicit volunteering):

    interacting with TLDP who wants or needs support or help of any
    type; clearly this would often be authors [if people would
    prefer to call it ####@####.#### that's fine with me]

  * retain ####@####.#### and use it as it has always been used

  * forward ####@####.#### to me (and anybody else who wants
    it); submit@ would be used to accept documents and patches
    outside of the GitHub system.

  * forward ####@####.#### me (and anybody else who wants
    it) [if we want to continue using that address...I'm not sure
    why it existed initially]

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown