discuss: Getting Started With Working With Git

Subject: Re: Getting Started With Working With Git
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2016 15:42:01 +0000

>> You are going to really turn off people if you want contributors
>> to understand how github works.

I hope not, but, possibly.  But, it's true that this could be
intimidating or discouraging.

I think the main point is not to require that people use GitHub if
they don't want to, right David?

>> In order to upload a file of about 100K bytes I have to first
>> download a file of 500 MB or download 5000 times as much as I
>> upload!  I've only got a dialup modem on this PC of 28k bps.  It
>> will only take 50 hours to download if there is no congestion.
>
>There is compression, and it’s only the first time that you’re
>downloading the entire repository.  I just did a git clone and I
>downloaded just shy of 150MiB (148.79 to be precise).  After that,
>you’re only sending and receiving deltas so your 100k upload will
>be ~100k.
>
>git is used by a large number of projects that are far larger than
>tLDP so I don’t think that using it will be too much overhead for
>prospective contributors.  Though there’s no requirement to use git
>or github to contribute….

Agreed.  The tool works for us and it works for some significant
subset of our discipline, but not everybody uses (or is interested
in using a git or a DVCS).  And some people prefer not to use
GitHub.

For those who have contributions and do not or will not use GitHub,
email works.

In that light, here's some suggested text for the LDP Author Guide
(someplace):

  TLDP accept contributions via ####@####.#### in addition to
  github pull requests. An LDP volunteer will take responsiblity for
  applying the patch or committing the submitted document and
  confirming and communicating with the submitter.

Judging from my read of the discussion over the weekend, we are all,
roughly speaking in agreement about this....

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/