discuss: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas

Subject: Re: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas
From: Roger ####@####.####
Date: 24 Dec 2012 16:05:14 +0000

Wiki format is best.

>I was also reading through the discussion list, and picked up an important
>point:
>-The wiki is a "beta holding ground", for guides that were incomplete not
>not ready to be published.

True, but most Wiki's have an embedded publish button, allowing the viewer to
print to a printer or export to PDF/PS or EPUB, or other desired format.

After awhile of editing, corrections and formatting corrections, the documents
are usually better and more up-to-date then anything published in the past.

Else, you end-up with something like TLDP, where the documentation is full of
errors and out-dated.  Caused by being next to impossible to submit corrections
by the average viewer.  Like somebody experienced is going to take the time to
meticulously reread the documentation like an initial reader does.

Initially, didn't think worth while to respond as I just assumed people would
already understand this.

If TLDP wants a finished product, have a script to automatically take snapshots
of the Wiki pages, publishing to PS/PDF/HTML as they do now.

I don't think there's much argument as to what's best, just think energy for
documentation is more focused at the Distro level, in an effort to gain
advertisement and interest for their Distro.  The flip-side being, duplicated
and replicated documentation efforts.

The majority of duplicated efforts, should probably be candidates for merging
into TLDP, along with it's already acquired documentation.

Think Wiki and TLDP's lack of interest in Wiki is the primary move to
documentation at the Distro level.

... just some thoughts.

--
Roger