discuss: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas

Subject: Re: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas
From: Zhi An Ng ####@####.####
Date: 24 Dec 2012 10:23:32 +0000

I agree that documentation for Linux is spread out all over the web. The
main places documentation resides are Linux forums, individual
distribution's forums and wiki.

Personally I feel that forums, HOWTOS and guides, and wikis should not be
independent. *Wikis provide topical information at an introductory level*.
They provide sufficient information for troubleshooting, and preliminary
learning on a topic. When I was starting out, wikis were really helpful,
for example in topics such as keyboard and wireless. I especially love the
Arch Linux wiki because they are so comprehensive and clearly written.
Forums like linuxforums and distribution's forums provide help on more
specific problems faced by users, and also encourage sharing of code and
configuration. It is important because that is where a distribution's user
base interacts, where its community lives.
As for HOWTOs and guides, such as those on TLDP, they contain in-depth
knowledge. I personally find them very useful. But most people will not
probably get pass the first chapter (with reference to the market share of
Linux).

I was also reading through the discussion list, and picked up an important
point:
-The wiki is a "beta holding ground", for guides that were incomplete not
not ready to be published.
Personally I do not agree with this but if it was the original intent then
we probably need to hold some discussion.

As for the presentation of the front-page, I agree that there needs to be
work done. Aesthetics has gained much importance in recent years and the
way TLDP looks might have turned quite some people away. I'm not HTML CSS
wiz (and my design skills are worse), but I will try.

Sincerely,
Ng Zhi An