discuss: mirrors

Subject: Mirrors
From: Mail Lists ####@####.####
Date: 5 Nov 2008 21:00:07 +0000

Hello to all,
as a new volunteer I have followed the suggestions on the Browse the Mirrors
page, and have been checking the mirrors in the UK.  Of the seven listed only
two resolved, and the rest either did not resolve or came up with page not
found (404) or displayed a different page to the LDP mirror that was
expected.  Given that five had failed;

http://webdocs.essex.ac.uk/LDP/
http://ldp.cherryfive.com/
http://ldp.doc-linux.co.uk/LDP/
http://mirror.powdarrmonkey.net/LDP/
http://www.tyneside.lug.org.uk/LDP/

do I;
1 just mark these sites as no longer mirroring in the mirrors page, and email
nobody?
2 Or delete their entry completely from that page, and email nobody?
3 Or perhaps email the admin responsible (do we have addresses for each site
or do we take contact details from the site or from a whois result if there
are no details) and ask what has happened?

Also should any emails sent to admins come from a tldp.org address?  If so do
I have access to a tldp mail account?

The two that are mirroring correctly;

http://newton.ex.ac.uk/LDP/
http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/www.tldp.org/

checked out fine, except for one little niggle that I have been unable to
puzzle out.  When clicking on the man page link,

http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/www.tldp.org/docs.html#man

my browser presented me with a message box asking what I wanted to do with
man.php, download it or open it with a different application.  This happened
on both sites at the same link.  My browser is Firefox 3.0.3.  I tried it in
Opera 9.6.2, and the same thing happened.  However when trying the home site
at the same link,

http://tldp.org/docs.html#man

the page loads correctly.  I don't where the error lies with this fault.
Perhaps somebody with more knowledge may be able to enlighten me.
Sorry for the long post.  Thanks for your help.
Allister Gearon.