editors: Re: Newbie contributor / Programming

Subject: Re: Newbie contributor / Programming
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 26 Feb 2004 01:28:22 -0000

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 07:17, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> I've printed that article. Would it be possible for some LinuxDoc expert(s)
> to convert my rtf file about "User Defined Types" into the appropriate
> LinuxDoc format. I don't have any software here (apart from VIM and MS Word)
> that could be used to generate Linux DocBook from Rich Text Format (rtf)
> files. And I'm not sure how to create little boxes with text in (I use them
> to show CRC diagrams - Class, Responsibility, Collaboration diagrams) and
> they're very important when dealing with user defined types.
>
> My current Linux box is a 90Mhz Pentium Compaq with dodgy graphics card that
> makes me work in VGA mode 640x480 in 16 colours. The same PC can run Windows
> in SVGA mode so its ok for use in MS Word using commonly found formats like
> rtf or txt.

A possible alternative:  we may have more volunteers available to help
get this into DocBook XML (There's a program called Upcast as well,
which can convert MS Word to DocBook).  I'm not entirely sure how many
here are available to help with Linuxdoc conversion (not implying any
kind of popularity contest between the two, just honestly don't know),
but there are many people here also well-versed in DocBook XML.

There's a $-free (but not open source) program called Morphon
(www.morphon.com) available for both Windows and Linux if you don't mind
filling out a download form to get it.  It's a great little XML editor
and we've had some of the reviewers using it with no major problems.
If someone helped you get the initial conversion done, any changes you
wanted to make after that could be done in Morphon and you'd probably
find it a fairly painless experience.

If you want to know more about DocBook, we have a mailing list for it.
Click the mailing list link from the main TLDP page for instructions on
how to subscribe, and feel free to post questions about it.  There are
lots of folks monitoring the list and very willing to help you figure it
all out.

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall