editors: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2003 03:20:29 -0000

I'm going to provide my feedback, and then we can see what you'd like to
do from there.  I have some reviewers who've spent years in the real
world editing for book publishers and corporations who are qualified to
perform such a review.

On that note, I've read the HOWTO in full, twice, and here are my
recommendations:

1.  Rather than DOs and DON'Ts, which may sound too authoritative (and I
know there was an explanation for their use, but regardless...) you
might be better served writing SHOULDs and SHOULDN'Ts.  This implies you
are not telling anyone what to do, particularly for those who feel they
don't do those things (and yes, I realize you addressed that too, but I
really think it would help the overall tone).

2.  Gather some feedback from men and women.  Perhaps another section -
an appendix.  Maybe some examples from women of specific instances, and
then responses from "enlightened" men to deal with these issues more
effectively.  This can give the men a feeling of positive contribution,
and using specific instances as examples can go a long way in teaching
"unenlightened" men the more politically-correct responses when
confronted with these situations.

(I think just the SHOULD/SHOULDN'T vs. the DO/DON'T may go a long way in
toning down the authoritative voice.)

3.  I do agree with your references and generalizations on how
differently men and women perceive themselves and are perceived by
others.  I know you've already put a great deal of research into this,
and I don't think that there's any "factual" errors.  It would be nice
to see some more up-to-date examples, if you can find some.

Perhaps you could use the idea of a men/women problem/resolution
scenario in choosing reviewers.  Maybe we should find a couple women and
a couple men to work on this?  With the inclusion of such a section (#3)
this would be a feasible reason to have more review involvement, but
beyond that, I think just the tweaks I mentioned will make a positive
impact on the work, and not take away from the meaning.

I'll leave you with those thoughts while I continue to catch up on
mail.

Val, let me know what you think of these ideas.  I'd appreciate your
thoughts, since it IS your work, and I want to make sure I'm not way off
base with my suggestions.

Thanks,
Tab

--