editors: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Val Henson ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2003 01:47:13 -0000

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 06:55:15PM -0500, Raymond wrote:

> To this end I have volunteered on the editors list (mailto:
> ####@####.#### to review this document.

Thank you, Raymond.  I have read the "Linux Documentation Project
Reviewer HOWTO" (good work, as usual, Joy) and found that the
following three types of review exist:

1. Peer Review - http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LDP-Reviewer-HOWTO/peerreview.html

   This type of review occurs prior to publication.  This HOWTO has
   already been published.

2. Technical Accuracy Review - http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LDP-Reviewer-HOWTO/techreview.html

   I quote:

   "Make sure the facts as stated in the document are correct,
   helpful, and on topic.  To do a technical accuracy review, you
   really need to know your subject matter, probably as well or better
   than the original author."

3. Language Review - http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LDP-Reviewer-HOWTO/languagereview.html

   This type of review addresses "poor sentence structure, grammar,
   organization, clarity, and spelling."

Please let us know which kind of review you are doing.  If you are
doing a Technical Accuracy Review, please inform us of your
qualifications in the area of encouraging women in Linux.  The
authors of the HOWTO are listed here:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/x28.html#AEN66

Some of my personal qualifications to write about this subject can be
found on my home page:

http://www.nmt.edu/~val

A quick summary of my qualifications:
 - Former full-time Linux developer
 - Active volunteer for LinuxChix
 - Member of Systers mailing list
 - Frequent attendee at women in computing conferences
 - Host of LinuxChix BoF at Ottawa Linux Symposium two years running
 - Well read in the area (as demonstrated by references in the HOWTO)
 - Member of the program committee of Sun's women in engineering group

> I suggest a even number of male/female reviewers that can work
> amongst themselves and submit the results as a group to the LDP.

I believe the motivation behind this suggestion is to provide a
"gender-balanced" review committee.  However, mere numerical equality
will not produce the desired results.  Three sexist men and three
sexist women will still produce a sexist review (as will six sexist
women and six sexist men - whoa, cool tongue-twister!).

I believe that the reviewers should be people who are qualified to
review the HOWTO as described above, regardless of gender.  I look
forward to the review comments.

-VAL