docbook: Updated CSS for HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Updated CSS for HOWTOs
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2004 14:20:33 -0000

Saqib Ali wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Thanks for the response,
>

>>* Margins and whitespace make documents easier to read.  A 5% to 10%
>>margin would be nice and would equate to about 1/2 an inch to an inch on
>>US Letter sized paper.  I would also suggest margins in boxed text like
>><programlisting>'s.
>

> I added the margin to overall document. But I am not sure howto add margin
> inside the <programlisting>. If anyone has any idea on how to do this,
> please let me know.
>

>>* A high contrast black text on white background would be easier to read
>>than a colored text on white.  I would go high contrast on the body text
>>and save the colored text for the headings and other things that need to
>>stand out.
>
> I changed the text color to black (#000000).
>

>>* I would choose a different overall color scheme.  I am not an expert
>>on color, but I picked up a few things from my dad the art teacher.  :^)
>>  You might try a monochromatic or analogous color scheme.  (Here's a
>>site showing some examples:
>>http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-theory-basics.html)  Cordinating
>>the heading colors, link colors and border colors for boxes can add a
>>professional touch.
>

> This will take some time for me to learn color theory. Anyone wants to
> help me??? :)
>
> Thanks.
> Saqib Ali

Saqib,

Here is an example of a stylesheet that uses a very conservative
monochromatic color scheme (black, white and grey) and uses margins
around the document and in the <programlisting>'s <note>'s and such.

http://my.core.com/~dhorton/docbook/mozbook/MozBook.css

This stylesheet is intended to style DocBook XML directly, so it won't
work on HTML without modification.  However, if you are using the
Mozilla browser you can see the application of style by visiting:

http://my.core.com/~dhorton/docbook/mozbook/sample.xml

Feel free to use the stylesheet, modify it, borrow from it or whatever.

Dave