docbook: Docbook XML questions

Subject: Re: Docbook XML questions
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 31 Jul 2003 13:44:06 -0000

 : I have just started using Docbook and XML and have some questions.
 :
 : 1- How can I fix the syntax of complex URLs?
 :
 : This XML;
 : <ulink
 : url="http://hostap.epitest.di/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/hostap/README?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain">
 : instructions</ulink>

Yes, the '&' inside the URL needs to be escaped properly so the XSLT
processor will substitute the '&'.  Right now, xsltproc finds the
beginning of what it thinks is an entity, and finds no end.

Try replacing '&' with '&amp;'.

 : Causes the following error from xsltproc;
 :
 : <sect1 id="install-redhat">
 :                           ^
 : accesspoint.xml:928: error: xmlParseEntityRef: expecting ';'
 : ap.epitest.di/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/hostap/README?rev=HEAD&content-typ
 :                                                                               ^
 : unable to parse accesspoint.xml
 :
 : I assume that it doesn't like some of the characters inside the URL
 : string. How can I fix this?

The rest of your questions revolve around the output from the
stylesheets, which means that you'll find a customization layer
rather handy.  Please read up on a customization layer here.

  http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomMethods.html#CustomizationLayer

Note, for example, in my customization layer for my linux-ip docs I
refer to the absolute URL of Norm Walsh's stylesheets.  If your
catalog file is correctly configured, the processor will map this
request to the files in the local filesystem.

  http://cvsview.tldp.org/index.cgi/LDP/guide/docbook/linux-ip/xsl/linux-ip-chunk.xsl?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

 :
 : 2- Indexing
 :
 : 3rd level sections and beyond are not getting a contents page entry. I
 : have modelled the XML on some HOWTO's I grabbed from TLDP, the
 : associated HTML for these examples _do_ have 3rd level contents entries
 : even though the syntax used is indetical to mine.

This one, I'm not so sure about, but I think this is the required
setting:

  <xsl:param name="toc.section.depth" select="2"/>

 : 3- Contents
 :
 : I am structuring my HOWTO to have each chapter as a seperate HTML page.
 : The first two <sect1> tags in the XML are essentially identical, only
 : the first one is appended to the index.html page (which I don't want)
 : while the second (and subsequent) <sect1> tags do have a seperate HTML
 : page created for them.
 :
 : !-- section1: intro -->
 :
 : <sect1 id="introduction">
 : 	<title>Introduction</title>
 : 		<indexterm>
 :         		<primary>accesspoint!introduction</primary>
 : 		</indexterm>
 :
 : <!-- section2: prerequisites -->
 :
 : <sect1 id="prerequisites">
 : 	<title>Prerequisites</title>
 : 		<indexterm>
 :         		<primary>accesspoint!prerequisites</primary>
 : 		</indexterm>
 :
 : How can I force section 1 to be created as a sperate HTML page as Sectio
 : 2 is, rather than being appended to index.html?

I think this should work.  It will need to be added to your XSLT
customization layer.

  <xsl:param name="chunk.first.sections" select="'1'"/>

 : I am using this command to xsltproc;
 :
 : xsltproc --nonet -stringparam base.dir output/
 : ~/docbook/xsl/xhtml/chunk.xsl accesspoint.xml
 :
 : Also, I have been unable to assign the resultant HTML pages a filename,
 : instead a random one is generated. How can I set a file name for a
 : <sect1> tag?

Customization layer necessity:

  <xsl:param name="use.id.as.filename" select="1"/>

See also the plethora of documentation about DocBook XSLT and so
forth:

  http://docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookDocumentation

Best of luck,

-Martin