docbook: Help! How do I generate use sgmltools under debian to format LDP docs?

Subject: Help! How do I generate use sgmltools under debian to format LDP docs?
From: "Theodore Ts'o" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Apr 2003 02:49:43 -0000

I've been fighting with sgmltools for a while now, and it's been
throughly frustrating experience.  I need some help!

I'm using debian unstable, and I've installed the sgmltools-lite
package, jade, docbook-dssl, and all the rest.

I downloaded big-howto-template.sgml, and tried to generate a txt file
using:

	sgmltools -b txt big-howto-template.sgml

And I got something which didn't have a table of contents, and which
didn't number the sections.  You also couldn't distinguish subsections
from sections; it looked horrible.

OK, says, I, I'll download ldp.dsl from the tdlp.org LDP Author Guide
page, and try to use it:

	sgmltools -b txt -s ldp.dsl big-howto-template.sgml

And the generated txt file looks like garbage:

####@####.#### GregFerguson ####@####.#### 0.062001-01-08gjf Changed
>date format (YYYY-MM-DD) template This is a fully working template for big
>HOWTOs. The source contains fully described slots to make a convenient
>framework for you to fill in for making your own HOWTO; suggesting some names,
>conventions and contents for the chapters. SGML source for this doc

How do you make sgmltools do anythign at all sane?  I've tried reading
all of the man pages, and HOWTO's, and I can't find anything which tells
me how to make the stupid tool work correctly.

Help?

						- Ted