docbook: Forcing page breaks etc

Subject: Re: Forcing page breaks etc
From: Togan Muftuoglu ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2003 05:59:52 -0000

* Tabatha Persad; ####@####.#### on 29 Jan, 2003 wrote:
>He wants to force page breaks when converting XML to RTF.  From what I
>can tell, normally the page breaks are determined based on chapters and
>sections.  He simply wants to break the page at the section level when
>converting to RTF.  He advised it works fine converting to HTML of
>course, but when converting to RTF (print) the sections in each chapter
>are listed down the page in full, instead of page by page like the HTML
>output.

Will result to waste of paper though use of

<?my-pagebreak?> in the document where a page break is needed and in the
XSL stylesheet the following should solve

<xsl:template match="processing-instruction('my-pagebreak')">
  <fo:block break-before='page'/>
</xsl:template>

>He was also interested in finding out if there was any way to re-center
>titles during conversion.  Again, I believe that's being affected by
>something applied during the conversion process, but not sure how to
>help.

How is the conversion done ? Titles of which element ?

>from elsewhere to create the document, so he's used to having regular
>text formatting available.  He's not interested in trying to use
>emphasis because he feels that bold would be more appropriate.

<emphasis role="bold">Some text</emphasis> so use of role is the key
here.

--

Togan Muftuoglu