docbook: Shot in the dark for an Emacs/PSGML question...

Subject: Re: Shot in the dark for an Emacs/PSGML question...
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2003 04:06:33 -0000

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 07:46, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 09:54:38PM -0800, Tabatha Persad wrote:
> > but now I get the following error, and no PSGML tools:
> >
> > File mode specification error: (error "Substituting nonexistent
> > environment variable \"\"")
>
> At a rough guess, there is an environmental variable issue here. When
> you log in remotely, do you get the same set of environmental
> variables in Emacs?

Yeppers.

> I have noticed a problem with $OSTYPE. It is present in my shell, but
> when I evaluate the lisp fragment (getenv "OSTYPE") I get "nil"
> instead of the correct value, "linux-gnu".
>
> Since this is related to psgml mode, try evaluating
> (getenv "SGML_CATALOG_FILES").

I will definitely investigate that!

> Possibly there is a solution on the psyche list at Red Hat. Or maybe
> you can set it in your .emacs, but that would be a work-around at
> best.

I'll try that too if I get to my wit's end.  I'm trying in XEmacs, but
interestingly, it doesn't like the way I've got the catalogs set up,
having trouble parsing the XML.  I'm still working on it!

> Also, I have noticed a problem with emacsclient if I have two
> instances of emacs running. It will send to the most recent instance
> regardless of which login originates the request. The solution seems
> to be to run only one instance of Emacs at a time.

Well, I am uncertain if running two instances of it was really the cause
of all this, but I can't think of anything else I mucked with.

In the meantime, in order to parse xml documents, I discovered a little
script buried in RH8 called "xmlproc_parse" that I can run to determine
any errors, and then "xmlproc_val" which is supposed to validate (but
that one is having serious issues with oasis mods files and blows up
during validation).

I'll keep plugging away, thanks for the tips!

Tab

--
Tabatha Persad
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com