docbook: is the linuxdoc DTD deprecated for LDP?

Subject: Re: is the linuxdoc DTD deprecated for LDP?
From: Peter Jay Salzman ####@####.####
Date: 3 Aug 2002 17:54:33 -0000

Hi Tabatha,

I should've been more upfront with you.  :-)

I'm the author of the Debian Jigdo mini-HOWTO, and someone translated
the mini-HOWTO to German, which I submitted to the German HOWTO
coordinator.

The submission was flatly rejected for two reasons:

1. It uses "oe" instead of the German umlat (easily fixed).
2. It uses SGML/Docbook rather than the Linuxdoc DTD.  Apparently,
   German submissions are ONLY allowed in Linuxdoc.  Not Docbook.
   And not easily fixed.

The translator's job would be much easier if he could just take my
future revisions, cut and paste the changes I've made and do the
translation.  Requiring him translate the markup language seems to be a
big waste of his time.  Especially since Docbook is one of the accepted
markup languages for LDP.

I was going to make the case why the German coordinator should drop the
requirement of Linuxdoc.  I thought I remembered reading somewhere that
Docbook and XML are favored over Linuxdoc, and was going to use that
fact to help bolster my case why he should accept the Debian Jigdo
mini-HOWTO's German translation, after all the "oe"'s were changed to
umlats.

My girlfriend can do the umlat thing quickly, since she's fluent in
German.  But translating the markup language is a hardship for everyone
involved, and seems unreasonable.

What do you think?  I can use some advice here.

Thanks, Tabatha!

Pete

begin Tabatha Persad ####@####.####

--
Please don't put my email address in your Outlook addressbook.