docbook: is the linuxdoc DTD deprecated for LDP?

Subject: Re: is the linuxdoc DTD deprecated for LDP?
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 3 Aug 2002 17:37:11 -0000

On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 12:35, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Months ago, I roamed the LDP site, reading about how to submit documents
> to the LDP.
>
> I *thought* I remember reading that the Linuxdoc DTD has been deprecated
> in favor of SGML/docbook and XML.
>
> I tried finding a reference to this in the LDP Author Guide and the LDP
> website.  Couldn't find it.

In section 2.5 of the Author's guide it mentions that when an author
submits their document, a member of the LDP will translate the text to
DocBook markup and that from there on the markup would be in DocBook.
But please read on.

> Am I simply not remembering this correctly, or is docbook and XML really
> favored over LinuxDoc?
>
> References would be appreciated if I'm remembering correctly.

If you were to have this discussion in the discuss mailing list, you would
probably find out that there are lots of folks still using Linuxdoc markup
and there are still a great deal of documents that don't require the
complexity of DocBook.

Ideally I think the LDP would like to see the latest markup used for
documentation, particularly XML since it's so platform friendly.

Do you need help with DocBook at all?  Let me know if I can be of
assistance!

--
Tabatha Persad
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com