docbook: SGML to PDF question (long one)

Subject: Re: SGML to PDF question (long one)
From: Gregory Leblanc ####@####.####
Date: 2 Aug 2002 13:20:00 -0000

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 21:29, Tabatha Persad wrote:
> Hey there everyone,
>
> I have all the tools that are in the Mandrake 8.2 distribution.  I found
> out there were basically 3 commands for converting DocBook to PDF, and I
> was able to run these successfully on 4.1 SGML, except for two
> scenarios.  Let me explain:
>
> The successful convert was DocBook 4.1 SGML with no graphics in it.  I
> ran:
>
> 1) openjade -t tex -d $SGMLHOME/path/to/dsl file.sgml.  This creates the
> tex file.  Then I run
>
> 2) tex "&jadetex" file.tex, which says to run several times until all
> the errors work themselves out.  This works, and then finally I run
>
> 3) pdfjadetex file.tex, and I get a PDF file.
>
> Problem is when I try to add jpg files.  I've tried using figure &
> graphic tags, and tried screenshot & graphic tags, but it's something in
> the tex "&jadetex" process that is having an issue with the dimensions.
> It will include one of the two jpgs in the PDF.  The one not working is
> a screenshot of Windows Notepad and the one that works is the screenshot
> of just the menu bar of the Notepad.  Although that one works, it's
> tabbed over too far, but now that I think about it, it might be due to
> placement (screenshot data should be flush to the left I think).

What markup are you using for your graphics?

> Can anybody offer any suggestions to making PDF come out better from
> DocBook?  If there are better Linux tools to do this I'm game, because I
> want to ensure I don't have to rely on commercial software to make the
> ones that need graphics. Maybe I'm not using the right tags in the
> source?

Well, Ferg has been using htmldoc for eons, and it has pretty good
results.  I know I've got some markup around that's "known" to work with
Norm's stylesheets, I'll see if I can find it and post it.  I think
we've been converting our PNG images to EPS in order to facilitate PDF
and PS generation, as for some reason, PNG didn't work out well.
	Greg

--
Gregory Leblanc ####@####.####