discuss: Thread: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 4 [>] [>>]
Subject: Fwd: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO
From: Al Dev ####@####.####
Date: 11 Feb 2019 04:13:13 +0000

Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO

Attached please find new HOWTO written for Linux

upload the LDP howtos

thanks
From: Serge Victor ####@####.####
Date: 11 Feb 2019 04:20:18 +0000

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 11:13, Al Dev ####@####.#### wrote:

> Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO
>
> Attached please find new HOWTO written for Linux
>
> upload the LDP howtos
>
> thanks

Hi, would it be possible that you add the howto directly to our GIT
repository at

https://github.com/tLDP/LDP

as a Pull Request?

cheers!
Serge
From: ####@####.####
Date: 11 Feb 2019 12:54:48 +0000

I don't see an attachment.

From: Serge Victor ####@####.####
Date: 11 Feb 2019 15:01:26 +0000

The mailing list prohibits attachments, this is why I've proposed a
git pull request.

S.
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 12 Feb 2019 02:25:49 +0000

Quoting Serge Victor ####@####.#### replying to a different HOWTO
author:

> Hi, would it be possible that you add the howto directly to our GIT
> repository at
>
> https://github.com/tLDP/LDP
>
> as a Pull Request?

You know, Serge, on a different but closely related matter:

On 10 Jan 2016, after I'd been getting my submissions of SGML updates to
####@####.#### ignored for several years, I inquired on this mailing
list, and you advised that LDP is done entirely through GitHub, now, by
decision of -- well, you.  I said whatever works for you is great, but
that I wasn't going to agree to a customer contract with a proprietary
software company (which is what 'getting a GitHub account' means), just
in order to contribute volunteer works to LDP.  I said it'd be really
nice if I could just send the new version some other way.  You made no
reply.

On 25 Feb 2016, I advised this mailing list that a major update of the
Linux User Group HOWTO, v. 1.8.5, was available, and would continue to
be so, at http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO.sgml  . You and
others made no reply.  (It's now up to 1.8.7.)

On 4 June 2018, Microsoft Corporation bought GitHub, Inc. for US $7.5
billion.

If TLDP would like to gratuitously alienate open source people, I think
you've found a good way to do it, but that's just my opinion.  But, my
work remains very welcome as a contribution to LDP, and, if you wish to
fetch version 1.8.7 and check it into Microsoft's site or anywhere else
you prefer, that would be super, and certainly IMO would be beneficial
for LDP.

If you'd rather not, then I guess my LDP documents are going to remain
forked until something changes on the LDP end.   I'll be still around,
waiting politely.  So will my work.  After all, it's open source --
unlike GitHub.

--
Cheers,              "I am a member of a civilization (IAAMOAC).  Step back
Rick Moen            from anger.  Study how awful our ancestors had it, yet
From: Serge Victor ####@####.####
Date: 12 Feb 2019 12:13:55 +0000

I really have no idea why you have ignored submissions, Rick. Your
recent email does not explain it.

Serge
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 12 Feb 2019 12:47:23 +0000

Quoting Serge Victor ####@####.####

> I really have no idea why you have ignored submissions, Rick. Your
> recent email does not explain it.

Let's start over.

The most recent update of Linux User Group HOWTO within LDP's collection
is v1.8.4 from 2013.  In accordance with longstanding practice at LDP, I
submitted updates of the SGML source to e-mail address
####@####.#### for around the next three years after 2013, but LDP
never picked up those submissions.

Around 2016, I inquired here on the ####@####.#### about whether
there was a problem.  You replied that all new submissions were now
required to be via GitHub.  I said that this new complication created a
problem, in that I decline to enter into a contractual relationship with
proprietary software firm GitHub, Inc. (lately a wholly owned subsidiary
of Microsoft Corporation) in order to check patchsets into GitHub or for
any other reason, and that I therefore hoped someone would assist, e.g.,
by checking in my latest SGML.  Two such requests from me got no
comment, nor has LDP merged any of my updates since 2013.

As of this date, head version v1.8.7 is available at
http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO.sgml (my Web server).

I hope LDP is interested in resuming acceptance of my work.  Perhaps the
above URL (providing head-version SGML) is all LDP needs, e.g. perhaps
you will check in v1.8.7.  If not, please advise about any method of
submission not requiring I possess and use a GitHub account.  Thanks.
From: ####@####.#### ####@####.####
Date: 12 Feb 2019 12:58:02 +0000

Rick, I think LDP is dead now, since a lot of time (may be 2013?)
.

I don't have any more access on any server and don't want one. I receive
this list because I'm too lazy to unsubscribe :-(

jdd
--
http://dodin.org
From: Paul Sutton ####@####.####
Date: 12 Feb 2019 15:14:06 +0000

On 12/02/2019 12:57, ####@####.#### wrote:
> Rick, I think LDP is dead now, since a lot of time (may be 2013?)
> .
>
> I don't have any more access on any server and don't want one. I receive
> this list because I'm too lazy to unsubscribe :-(
>
> jdd

I hardly ever get e-mail on this list anyway,  what I would say is we
really do need some updated documentation for Linux and related
software,  trying doing a search for something and you end up with links
to really out of date versions.

Maybe the LDP isn't quite dead yet.  I will try and look at what we do
have.

Paul

Paul

--