discuss: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO

Subject: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 19 Feb 2019 15:38:20 +0000

Quoting David Niklas ####@####.####

> No need for formality, I'm a friendly person. Call me David. :)

Sure, and I have no idea why I used your surname rather than your given
name, David.  I must have been tired.

[snip details about Gitea:]

> You lost me, what am I, personally, supposed to do with Gitea? No, sadly
> I don't have the BW, and can't buy it, for a personally Internet server
> -- even if it meant "liberating" the LDP (the quotes are because it's
> not enslaved, it's hosting system is).

Apologies if it wasn't apparent, but that information was not intended
for you solely, but rather to LDP and the general public, pro bono
publico.  Which is to say that although you're not in a position to run
a server, many people are, and consider it neither difficult nor too
expensive.

[Snip about people who host their own Internet presences:]

> Sadly, I've been at a loss for information in this area. Might I PM you at
> some future date if I have a question?

I and many other people who run their own Internet servers can be found
as regulars on Linux user group mailing lists, and it's most appropriate
to seek help there in LUGs' public forums, so that other people can
benefit from the discussion.  You will find that private help is
generally not available free of charge from casual acquaintances.
(That's called 'consulting'.  ;->  )

[Microsoft acquisition of GitHub:]

> It is really silly isn't it? When I first heard about the deal to sell to
> MS I was uncertain whether I should laugh or cry. I stuck with laughing,
> it's more fun!

I'm still puzzled why so many people seemed upset at the news, as it was
just one proprietary software company buying another proprietary
software company -- which happens all the time.  I can only guess that
some people mistook GitHub, Incorporated for some sort of public
institution or utility.

More broadly, I suspect many people who relied on GitHub had the
mistaken impression they were customers.  Back when SourceForge was
created by my employer VA Linux Systems, I noticed some in the Linux
community suffered the same confusion -- even when CEO Larry Augustin
decided to yank the firm out of the hardware business and convert it
into a proprietary software firm (at first called VA Software Corporation,
and then SourceForge, Inc.)

Larry has, of late, ended up as CEO of yet another proprietary software
company, SugarCRM, the firm that pioneered abusing GPLv3 with
'badgeware' appendix clauses to try to claim that their proprietary
commercial offering is open source -- and I'll bet many SugarCRM users
mistakenly think they're customers, too.  There's an old saying that, if
you're not the person paying, then you're not the customer but rather
the product -- and so it is with all of these offerings, including
GitHub.