discuss: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO

Subject: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO
From: David Niklas ####@####.####
Date: 19 Feb 2019 14:22:47 +0000

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 12:36:13 -0800
Rick Moen ####@####.#### wrote:
> Quoting David Niklas ####@####.####
>
> > As proof I have just submitted a pull request with the aforementioned
> > howto from: http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO.sgml
>
> Thank you very much, Niklas.

No need for formality, I'm a friendly person. Call me David. :)

> Outsourcing to GitHub, or SourceForge (product of my old employer, VA
> Linux Systems), or GitLab, or Bitbucket are not the only ways to run a
> code repository, and it's not actually necessary to outsource to a
> hosted product run by a third-party corporation.  (Out of those, GitLab
> is an 'open core' offering that in theory one can self-host, but the
> resource requirements are monstrous and it doesn't scale well, because
> it's written in Ruby on Rails.)

Sadly, over the years it seems that windowz has gotten faster and Linux
has gotten slower, mostly due to glue layers and associated overhead.

> Here's a modestly scoped, fast, small reasonable codebase for hosting
> code repositories with Web front-end, on one's own computing resources,
> without the bloated resoure requirements and featuritis of GitLab:
> Gitea.  (The Devuan Linux distribution project is currently setting up
> and migrating to an instance of Gitea, to host Devuan development.)
>
> https://gitea.io/
>
>   Gitea - Git with a cup of tea
>   A painless self-hosted Git service.
>
>   Gitea is a community managed fork of Gogs, lightweight code hosting
>   solution written in Go and published under the MIT license.
>
>   Cross-platform:  Gitea runs anywhere Go can compile for: Windows,
>   macOS, Linux, ARM, etc. Choose the one you love.
>
>   Easy to install:  Simply run the binary for your platform. Or ship
>   Gitea with Docker or Vagrant, or get it packaged.
>
>   Lightweight:  Gitea has low minimal requirements and can run on an
>   inexpensive Raspberry Pi. Save your machine energy!
>
>   Open Source:  It’s all on GitHub! Join us by contributing to make this
>   project even better. Don’t be shy to be a contributor!
>

> In answer to the obvious question about the latter paragraph, yes,
> Gitea does also host Gitea on Gitea -- not _just_ accepting
> contributions only through GitHub.

You lost me, what am I, personally, supposed to do with Gitea? No, sadly
I don't have the BW, and can't buy it, for a personally Internet server
-- even if it meant "liberating" the LDP (the quotes are because it's
not enslaved, it's hosting system is).

> Since 1993, I've personally hosted all of my Internet operations on my
> own computing resources on Linux, that being what Linux is partiularly
> good at -- which is what in the verancular is called 'walking the walk'
> or, metaphorically, 'eating your own dog food'.   When I started doing
> that, I wasn't a system administrator:  I was a staff accountant with
> no particular IT background.  Fortunately, nobody told me _then_ it was
> too difficult or impractical to host my own Internet presence, so I
> discovered that it wasn't either of those.

Sadly, I've been at a loss for information in this area. Might I PM you at
some future date if I have a question?

> And I would _never_ require people to sign up for customer relationships
> with Microsoft Corporation just to send me open source works for my
> site.
>
> And by the way, speaking of that, I certainly do not think Microsoft has
> any reason to corrupt the LDP repository.  I just think it's utterly
> absurd to accept LDP works only via authors having contractual
> agreements with a third-party corporation, especially when that company
> is Microsoft.  Tragically, it seems likely that LDP stumbled into this
> blunder only because Serge didn't understand the difference between
> GitHub and git.

It is really silly isn't it? When I first heard about the deal to sell to
MS I was uncertain whether I should laugh or cry. I stuck with laughing,
it's more fun!

You're welcome,
David