discuss: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO

Subject: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 18 Feb 2019 20:36:20 +0000

Quoting David Niklas ####@####.####

> As proof I have just submitted a pull request with the aforementioned
> howto from: http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO.sgml

Thank you very much, Niklas.

Outsourcing to GitHub, or SourceForge (product of my old employer, VA
Linux Systems), or GitLab, or Bitbucket are not the only ways to run a
code repository, and it's not actually necessary to outsource to a
hosted product run by a third-party corporation.  (Out of those, GitLab
is an 'open core' offering that in theory one can self-host, but the
resource requirements are monstrous and it doesn't scale well, because
it's written in Ruby on Rails.)

Here's a modestly scoped, fast, small reasonable codebase for hosting
code repositories with Web front-end, on one's own computing resources,
without the bloated resoure requirements and featuritis of GitLab:
Gitea.  (The Devuan Linux distribution project is currently setting up
and migrating to an instance of Gitea, to host Devuan development.)

https://gitea.io/

  Gitea - Git with a cup of tea
  A painless self-hosted Git service.

  Gitea is a community managed fork of Gogs, lightweight code hosting
  solution written in Go and published under the MIT license.

  Cross-platform:  Gitea runs anywhere Go can compile for: Windows,
  macOS, Linux, ARM, etc. Choose the one you love.

  Easy to install:  Simply run the binary for your platform. Or ship
  Gitea with Docker or Vagrant, or get it packaged.

  Lightweight:  Gitea has low minimal requirements and can run on an
  inexpensive Raspberry Pi. Save your machine energy!

  Open Source:  It’s all on GitHub! Join us by contributing to make this
  project even better. Don’t be shy to be a contributor!

In answer to the obvious question about the latter paragraph, yes,
Gitea does also host Gitea on Gitea -- not _just_ accepting
contributions only through GitHub.

Since 1993, I've personally hosted all of my Internet operations on my
own computing resources on Linux, that being what Linux is partiularly
good at -- which is what in the verancular is called 'walking the walk'
or, metaphorically, 'eating your own dog food'.   When I started doing
that, I wasn't a system administrator:  I was a staff accountant with
no particular IT background.  Fortunately, nobody told me _then_ it was
too difficult or impractical to host my own Internet presence, so I
discovered that it wasn't either of those.

And I would _never_ require people to sign up for customer relationships
with Microsoft Corporation just to send me open source works for my
site.

And by the way, speaking of that, I certainly do not think Microsoft has
any reason to corrupt the LDP repository.  I just think it's utterly
absurd to accept LDP works only via authors having contractual
agreements with a third-party corporation, especially when that company
is Microsoft.  Tragically, it seems likely that LDP stumbled into this
blunder only because Serge didn't understand the difference between
GitHub and git.