discuss: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO

Subject: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 13 Feb 2019 10:11:46 +0000

Quoting Serge Victor ####@####.####

> Again, you are still not JDD, who was the addressee of that claim. It
> was probably a language barrier which made his claim harsher than he
> intended.

This has no visible connection to the claim I questioned (that absurdity
of your saying that I'd 'dumped my duties').  It's a non-sequitur.

>> The kernel community, and basic consensual reality, does not concur with
>> your claim.  If you ever wish to learn how the Linux kernel development
>> process _actually_ works, it's explained in the kernel's own
>> Linux Kernel User's and Adminstrator's Guide, available on the Web here,
>> for example:
>> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.12/process/submitting-patches.html
>> Check for yourself.  Neither there or anywhere else in the kernel team's
>> process documentation is there any requirement to use GitHub, any suggestion
>> to use GitHub, or even any mention of GitHub.  On the other hand, there
>> is copious documentation about how things actually work.
>
> Show me a single new line of code in recent kernel which was not
> submitted to github first.

Any.

I'm not entirely sure why you believe GitHub rather than the mainline
git repository at kernel.org is where Torvalds and his lieutenants run
the kernel project.  I've already pointed you to the kernel team's
process documentation that very clearly describes the team's workflow
and exactly how patches reach the subsystem maintainers, get aggregated
there, and in batches from them reach Torvand for review as to whether
they would be merged into kernel.org's repo.  Also, this is perhaps the
most famous code workflow in the world today, so I'm astonished that you
seriously think it is routed through, and centrally controllable by, a
private for-profit corporation in San Francisco that is lately a
wholly-owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation.  Really?  What colour
is the sky, where you live?  ;->

I can only guess that perhaps you are horribly confused between the 2005
open source SCM git, coded originally by Torvalds to replace BitKeeper,
and the 2006 proprietary hosting service and commercial firm GitHub,
which uses an instance of the git codebase inside its hosting service --
one that houses among other things a downtream mirror of kernel.org's
canonical mainline kernel repo.  In any event, kindly get around to
reading the basic process documentation, to correct your understanding
on these fundamentals.

> OK, until you propose any solutions and identify a person who is going
> to deploy them, I do not plan to follow this discussion.

1.  I told you where the SGML source is.
2.  Since you like GitHub and insist on making LDP dependent on
    Microsoft by insisting on putting everything there, you're
    welcome to get it from there and check it into GitHub or anywhere
    else you prefer.  (It's open source, so you already have full
    permission without my saying so.)

That's a solution and a person.

It's also been pointed out about five or six times, so I guess your
bbizarre assertion that I haven't proposed any solution and identified a
person to deply it means you're ignoring what I said and claiming you
didn't hear it.

None of this is especially surprising -- but it _is_ disappointing.

And this is a waste of time.  The work exists from me and probably
others disinclined to enter into pointless agreements with Microsoft.
If you want the updates, you know where to find them.  If not, oh well,
LDP loses.