discuss: Getting Started With Working With Git

Subject: Re: Getting Started With Working With Git
From: Mark Komarinski ####@####.####
Date: 7 Feb 2016 02:54:03 +0000

> On Feb 6, 2016, at 8:48 PM, David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> You are going to really turn off people if you want contributors to
> understand how github works.  In order to upload a file of about 100K
> bytes I have to first download a file of 500 MB or download 5000 times as
> much as I upload!  I've only got a dialup modem on this PC of 28k bps.  It
> will only take 50 hours to download if there is no congestion.

There is compression, and it’s only the first time that you’re downloading the entire repository.  I just did a git clone and I downloaded just shy of 150MiB (148.79 to be precise).  After that, you’re only sending and receiving deltas so your 100k upload will be ~100k.

git is used by a large number of projects that are far larger than tLDP so I don’t think that using it will be too much overhead for prospective contributors.  Though there’s no requirement to use git or github to contribute….

> I will have some files to upload when submit is implemented.  Two are by
> someone who refused about 15 years ago to submit them to LDP due to his
> dislike of LinuxDoc (It couldn't print italics where he wanted it).  And
> when it was suggested he use docbook, he became outraged after looking at
> docbook complications.  I've put his files on my website and they get high
> traffic.  They are on programming the serial port which is widely used
> today for imbedded devices.  I'm not taking over maintenance of these
> files and am not submitting them in my own name.  We will then have 2
> howtos of the same name except I'll ask to add "-old" to the old one which
> has some important info not in the newer how-to (but overall, the newer
> one is better).  The author told me in an email to go ahead and submit
> them to LDP if I wanted to.  Someone needs to merge them who understands
> serial programming.

If there’s someone on the list with this experience that is willing to do the merge, here’s a task for you.  Probably needs a review to make sure it’s still technically current.

> Also, I want to mention that the above paragraph which discusses
> individual howtos, doesn't belong on the discuss list.  The high traffic
> on the discuss list in the past that was not related to ldp policy and
> progress turned off a lot of contributors from subscribing to it or
> reading it.  I hope the same mistake isn't made again.  One person should
> handle details on individual documents unless there is controversy about
> the document.

Sounds fair.  I envision that once you get in touch with someone who can do the merge for you that this discussion can take place off list.  No need for the entire discuss list to see it.

-Mark