discuss: Getting Started With Working With Git

Subject: Re: Getting Started With Working With Git
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 7 Feb 2016 01:47:27 +0000

You are going to really turn off people if you want contributors to
understand how github works.  In order to upload a file of about 100K
bytes I have to first download a file of 500 MB or download 5000 times as
much as I upload!  I've only got a dialup modem on this PC of 28k bps.  It
will only take 50 hours to download if there is no congestion.

I will have some files to upload when submit is implemented.  Two are by
someone who refused about 15 years ago to submit them to LDP due to his
dislike of LinuxDoc (It couldn't print italics where he wanted it).  And
when it was suggested he use docbook, he became outraged after looking at
docbook complications.  I've put his files on my website and they get high
traffic.  They are on programming the serial port which is widely used
today for imbedded devices.  I'm not taking over maintenance of these
files and am not submitting them in my own name.  We will then have 2
howtos of the same name except I'll ask to add "-old" to the old one which
has some important info not in the newer how-to (but overall, the newer
one is better).  The author told me in an email to go ahead and submit
them to LDP if I wanted to.  Someone needs to merge them who understands
serial programming.

Also, I want to mention that the above paragraph which discusses
individual howtos, doesn't belong on the discuss list.  The high traffic
on the discuss list in the past that was not related to ldp policy and
progress turned off a lot of contributors from subscribing to it or
reading it.  I hope the same mistake isn't made again.  One person should
handle details on individual documents unless there is controversy about
the document.