discuss: Android?

Subject: Re: Android?
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Feb 2016 17:21:50 +0000

Hello again David,

>> > If the TLDP is revived, perhaps it (we?) should consider somehow
>> > supporting documentation for Android as well.  IIUC, Android uses the
>> > (or a) Linux kernel or a derivative thereof.
>
>Do we really want to support google?
>Shouldn't they be doing it?
>Perhaps we should write docs especially for redhat?

Well, we do have HOWTOs that are RedHat-specific, Compaq-specific,
and several describing Linux interoperability with commercial
software (Sybase, Windows of various types, and specific vendor
hardware).

More importantly, though several LDP volunteers have also authored
documentation, we are not an authorship organization and aren't
making choices about supporting a particular company.  The manifesto
tells the story:

My thought is to refer to this core statement from our manifesto:

  The goal of the Linux Documentation Project (LDP) is to create and
  distribute a canonical set of high quality free GNU/Linux
  documentation.

Android does fall under the GNU/Linux ecosystem.  If an author
wishes to write about Android and is looking for a place to publish
the work, I think it makes sense to accept and distribute such
documentation.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown