discuss: History of LDP

Subject: Re: History of LDP
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 3 Feb 2016 03:15:48 +0000

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 02:35:15PM +0700, Serge Victor wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:51 PM, David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> > My view is that we made a big mistake by going with DocBook.  Part of this
> > was my fault for being partially ignorant of the situation along with our
> > leader, Guylhen, also not understanding it and thinking that one could
> > simplify DocBook by using only a subset of it.  I was somewhat of a coward
> > for not being more strongly opposed to DocBook.
>
> I think it was a good decision those days, but we missed an
> opportunity to add more languages when it was technically possible.
> And the biggest opportunity was to join github-like service earlier to
> replace humans on admin side with robots.

But it's my understanding that LDP had scripts which automatically
processed submissions.  And submissin by authors was either via a CVS
account or via "submit" with no account.  What we needed (and still need
is a CMS=Content Management System).  It would establish categories for
how-tos, etc. and a how-to could belong to multiple categories.  I
suggested a number of categories such as doc. being maintained but
maintainer wants to quit.  Our CMS was to be the plone flavor of zope and
David Merrill worked on it but became ill before he implemented it for
LDP.  He said he was incorporating most of the code writing he did for LDP
into Plone but no one else came forward to study it and implement it.
It was to include wiki editing also.

> It's very likely, that with support with one of discuss members who
> wants to stay anonymous by now, we will be able to fully automatize
> submission process and add all documentation formats available via
> pandoc, and there is a huge amount of them: markdown, reStructuredText,
> textile, HTML, DocBook, LaTeX, MediaWiki markup, TWiki markup, OPML,
> Emacs Org-Mode, Txt2Tags, Microsoft Word docx, LibreOffice ODT, EPUB, or
> Haddock markup.

I see neither linuxdoc nor plain text in the above list.