discuss: Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide

Subject: Re: Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide
From: Peter Salzman ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2013 23:35:56 +0100

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz
####@####.#### wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Peter Salzman ####@####.#### wrote:
>> Hi there,
>
> Hi!
>
>> I'm the author of the Linux Programming Module Guide (LKMPG).  Sadly,
>> I've let the LKMPG go for a few years.
>
> Welcome back :-)
>
>> However, a wiki version of the LKMPG is very intriguing.  It corrects
>> all the deficiencies of docbook.  It's easy, 100% collaborative, can
>> be translated into different formats, and easily and quickly
>> modifiable.   I wouldn't mind putting the LKMPG onto a wiki and going
>> back to actively maintaining it.   But if I'm going to put in this
>> kind of time, there's a few things I would like to know first:
>>
>> 1. How do I start?  In other words, where would my top page be?
>
> Just log in and create your top page :)
>
>> 2. How are foreign translations handled in wiki versions of documents?
>
> As any other document, if you find a translator.
>
>> 3. Can *anyone* modify my pages?  If so, is there a way of restricting
>> edits to just people with verified accounts on tldp.org?  How is spam
>> control handled?
>
> Edits on all pages are restricted to account holders.
> Spam is handled by textcha and myself :)
>
> Serge

Thanks for the reply!

I guess all I need to do is think about organization and collect a
posse to start wikifying the LKMPG.  I can handle collecting the
posse, but I'd like to ask for your (and everyone's) suggestion on
organization.  We have quite a few translations, so I was thinking
something along the lines of:

Main Page

--- en

--- es

--- cn

--- pt

--- (couple of other languages I'm not remembering right now)

Then, under each language, I have two logical choices of organization:

Main Page

en

--- Chapter 1
|      |
|      --- 2.6
|      |
|      --- 2.8
|      |
|      --- 3.0

--- Chapter 2
|      |
|      --- 2.6
|      |
|      --- 2.8

etc.   So that would be a chapter-centric way of organizing the guide.
  As new kernel minor versions come out, I would (or hopefully,
volunteers would) create new kernel version sections underneath each
chapter.   I guess the downside of this is that there might be
"holes," for example, if nobody created Chapter 10 for v3.2.

The other way of organizing it would be kernel-centric:

Main Page

en

--- 2.6
|      |
|      --- Chap 1
|      |
|      --- Chap 2
|      |
|      --- etc

--- 2.8
|      |
|      --- Chap 1
|      |
|      --- Chap 2

Neither organization is obviously better than the other to me.  I can
see pros and cons with each.  In the end it doesn't matter I suppose,
but considering the effort this will take, I want to do the right
thing from the outset.

Does anyone have any gut feelings over whether chapter-centric or
kernel version-centric organization would be better?

Many thanks!
Pete

ps- Please pardon my ascii graphics.  I'm crossing my fingers that
it's comprehensible....