discuss: Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide

Subject: Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide
From: Peter Salzman ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jul 2013 16:55:38 +0100

Hi there,

I'm the author of the Linux Programming Module Guide (LKMPG).  Sadly,
I've let the LKMPG go for a few years.

It wasn't my fault -- I blame the cruel world we live in that requires
us to get a job after school.   I want to atone for my sins, but I'm
not going to go back to docbook; I always hated it and it's the wrong
tool for a living document / moving target / collaborative effort.
There's no reason to use it for a document like the LKMPG, and I'm
fairly confident that the current version of LKMPG in that format is
the last.  I'm done with it.

However, a wiki version of the LKMPG is very intriguing.  It corrects
all the deficiencies of docbook.  It's easy, 100% collaborative, can
be translated into different formats, and easily and quickly
modifiable.   I wouldn't mind putting the LKMPG onto a wiki and going
back to actively maintaining it.   But if I'm going to put in this
kind of time, there's a few things I would like to know first:

1. How do I start?  In other words, where would my top page be?

2. How are foreign translations handled in wiki versions of documents?

3. Can *anyone* modify my pages?  If so, is there a way of restricting
edits to just people with verified accounts on tldp.org?  How is spam
control handled?

Thanks!
Pete