discuss: Wiki Conversion Process

Subject: Re: Wiki Conversion Process
From: Roger ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jan 2013 00:28:14 +0000

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:47:19PM +0200, Wesley Werner wrote:
>Hi all
>

>I was digging around wiki.tldp.org while investigating this task of
>converting old HOWTO's into the wiki site.
>
>I came across this page [1] detailing some methods, particularly the
>pre-process HTML to wiki method. I like the pre-process method, or
>even the text-only method, with manual tidying up afterwards in both
>cases. Is this OK?
>
>Then going over to the old docs [2], taking one as example:
>Quake-HOWTO, we see it's licensed under GPLv2, so that particular doc
>is safe to migrate to the wiki.

See the Domain registrant.

I'm no lawyer, but have some experience with law within the US.

They likely have lawyers at their finger tips for questions like these
miniscule issues.  Matter of fact, most lawyers won't waste their time, unless
1) There's profit involved, and TLDP has none that I know of from the documents
and from what was recently discussed within the past week; 2) There's some sort
of damage or injury, or reasonable belief harm can be done etc, and there are
no intentions that I know of here, but then again, I'm just going what things
look like.

Also see the discussion on this mailing list for the past week, including my
within the same domain.  Although I'm no lawyer, I don't see a need to even
contact an author, aside from maybe pushing a public notice to the website and
maybe mailing list.  You're just looking for problems if you send an email to
every author's private corporate email address, whom submitted documentation in
their free time - separate from work.  ;-)  (I think most lawyers would agree
with my last comment here.)

Personally, I now see it as a waste of time even responding to these questions,
as you'd likely have more problems making sure you get permission from the
head-honcho here (ie. Domain registrant) versus worrying about the other
authors.  ;-)  And, I think I now see why there's such a fuss for preserving an
unadjustable hard-copy, as it would ensure integrity.  However, Wikipedia seems
to be doing a fine job, but I'm sure the head-honcho would suggest otherwise.

Very likely all the GPL licensed stuff could be moved, regardless as to whether
or not it still exists within the tldp.org domain, however, likely hasn't been
moved as tldp.org is a big target for people looking for help.  Or, more likely
people just haven't had to the time to rewrite something once it was written,
or read once.  Technology is a fast paced biz.

Another reason the head-honcho at tldp.org might refuse the move to Wiki,
they're paying for the servers, or are in charge of negating the funds for
paying for the servers.  Or for political reasons, such as it might make them
popular or famous again.

If you keep asking me, I can keep coming-up with more excuses as to why the
head-honcho might say no. ;-)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/