discuss: Wiki Conversion Process

Subject: Wiki Conversion Process
From: Wesley Werner ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jan 2013 21:48:09 +0000

Hi all

I was digging around wiki.tldp.org while investigating this task of
converting old HOWTO's into the wiki site.

I came across this page [1] detailing some methods, particularly the
pre-process HTML to wiki method. I like the pre-process method, or
even the text-only method, with manual tidying up afterwards in both
cases. Is this OK?

Then going over to the old docs [2], taking one as example:
Quake-HOWTO, we see it's licensed under GPLv2, so that particular doc
is safe to migrate to the wiki.

Next I glance over the content and roughly guess whether it is still
relevant enough to migrate - only 2 years since last updated. So I'd
vote yes, it is still relevant.

So, would it be courteous to contact the author and ask anyway, and if
so, propose they handle wikifying their own work? Of course they don't
have to and we can offer to do it for them.

Also, I propose we create a "List of" existing HOWTOS [3] to keep
track of what has been done. I separated the list into items yet to do
(untouched), and in progress. We can add Completed, Obsolete and
FooBar lists as needed. Is this OK, any objections?

I take the process as:

* edit the ListOf page, moving the howto into In Progress
* create the wiki link on my user homepage, move the article words and
format until pretty.
* edit the ListOf page entry into Complete

When taking a HOWTO into the In Progress list, I add my wiki user page
next to the item so others can see who took it (P.S. what is the
correct wiki syntax to link users?)

Question: Do we need a review system to ensure quality conversions?
Would this flow through this discuss list, or via some wiki-based
notification system?

On naming of pages:

I see the original articles use the "FooBarBaz-HOWTO" naming style
(howto postfixed to the name). Should we keep with this, or prefix
instead? (HOWTO-FooBarBaz). Just asking to cover as many bases.

That is all for now, just my thoughts while I was doing these tasks.

[1]: http://wiki.tldp.org/Converting-a-HOWTO#Use_html_as_Source
[2]: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/
[3]: http://wiki.tldp.org/ListOfStableHowTos