discuss: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas

Subject: Re: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 27 Dec 2012 16:33:44 +0000

Le 27/12/2012 16:56, Roger a écrit :

> Well, I'm just looking at one piece of documentation, which was needing some
> dire corrections, "NCURSES Programming HOWTO" by Pradeep Padala, was licensed
> under the GPL.  What's also unique about this howto, it's the primary
> introductory documentation for ncurses libraries.

if you agree to take the maintenarship of this HOWTO, the GPL allows
it. specially if you can't join the original author.

The best way is probably to copy / paste the *text mode* version in a
new wiki page with the HOWTO template (I can do it for you if you
want). You can also use this page http://wiki.tldp.org/Converting-a-HOWTO

of course we have to wait the subscription problem to be solved, but
usually Ser'gius is very responsive, probably better wait to the end
of christmas hollidays :-)

> One place for possible objection, the TLDP was publishing some hardcopy
> documentation, but I think the proceeds were going to FSF, etc from my memory.

no, not the same goal

> Personally, I'd rather see everything remain TLDP.

sure

> This stuff should be more automated,

when I become LDP coordinator 4 years ago
(http://wiki.tldp.org/History), somebody said "do not care moving old
HOWTOs to the wiki, I will write the necessary script"... but then we
never heard about him again...

I asked for a python programmer, but had none at hand. I could do it
myself, but I'm a terrible programmer and this was too hard a work :-(

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.org
http://jddtube.dodin.org/20120616-52-highway_v1115