discuss: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas

Subject: Re: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas
From: Roger ####@####.####
Date: 27 Dec 2012 15:56:55 +0000

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:05:27AM +0100, jdd wrote:
>Le 27/12/2012 01:50, Roger a écrit :
>
>> Ditto. Last I checked I wasn't allowed to login with my generic username
>> "Roger".
>>
>right now, looks like the wiki do not allow new users, I could create
>a test account (and see it in the administrative interface), but not
>login with it.
>
>I ping the server admin for that.
>
>to make it clear, I was the LDP coordinator for some years but did
>resign because I have family load :-(
>
>that said I'm still concerned by the LDP :-)

Ditto here.  Haven't done much either, but still volunteer some time where I
can.

Well, I'm just looking at one piece of documentation, which was needing some
dire corrections, "NCURSES Programming HOWTO" by Pradeep Padala, was licensed
under the GPL.  What's also unique about this howto, it's the primary
introductory documentation for ncurses libraries.

So, next possible solution, is to move the GPL, or other approriately licensed
material to another domain.  Other licensed material might include any
documentation, for which was imposed with a license.  Any questionable
documentation, could try contacting the author, and if this fails and no
objections, transfer the documentation.

I think this has been already done with a majority of the documentation.  Bit
and bytes ended-up on distro owned domain pages, while some company's published
their own documentation elsewhere.

One place for possible objection, the TLDP was publishing some hardcopy
documentation, but I think the proceeds were going to FSF, etc from my memory.

Personally, I'd rather see everything remain TLDP.  It's a good name, with much
history, but the documentation is very stale as already noted.   Submitting
corrections is a nightmare, for which took me a month to setup on Gentoo and
then I didn't have anymore time.

This stuff should be more automated, rather then trying to reinvent the wheel
each time a correction is needed.  And, corrections should be more widely
accepted, as I find I read documentation once, never to return again.  So, make
sure the availability for recieving corrections is there for readers, else, the
documentation will never be corrected.

In brief, when somebody gets time, think it's just best to copy/fork the GPL
material to a Wiki domain. Too much dancing around here with chatter, rather
then focusing the energy used when typing emails here, and focusing it on
documentation corrections.

Sincerely,

Roger

--