discuss: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas

Subject: Re: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas
From: Zhi An Ng ####@####.####
Date: 25 Dec 2012 09:26:01 +0000

First of all, Merry X'mas to all! :D

Thanks all for the suggestions. I refer to *Paul's* suggestions below and
agree largely with them.

1) The wiki needs some changes, in terms of *aesthetics* (it surely can
look better) and also how we view its purpose. For now I see that those in
this discussion are leaning towards wiki as the main source of information,
mainly because it is *easily readable, editable*, update-able,
verifiable. I have no idea how the back end works because honestly I
haven't used it but I think to modify how the wiki works we have to contact
discuss-owner?
2) Covered this above (aesthetics).
3) I'm not so sure about the integration but this can probably come later
IMO. The first item on the to-do list should be as discussed, cleanly
migrate all the guides and HOWTOs into wiki.
4) Forums can be important especially to facilitate our discussion on
moving stuff to the wiki. It will be a cleaner interface for discussion on
more specific topics, instead of flooding this mailing list. Maybe we can
make do with a free forum first?

Also with regards to *Michael's* point on a work queue. Perhaps I can
suggest a place where we can publicly keep track of our workflow,
Trello<http://www.trello.com/>.
This works like a virtual corkboard where you can stick up lists, notes,
have checklists, comments etc. It could be an overkill we can just use this
page status wiki page
http://wiki.tldp.org/Page_Status and work from there.

*Michael* and *Roger* also mentioned about importing raw, which I think is
a fantastic idea because it gets things done, and when we have time we can
edit it iteratively. We don't need it to be perfect at the first try. I'ld
also like to note that even importing raw initially will take a bit of
manual filtering effort because most of the time a HOWTO or Guide cannot
simply fit into a wiki page, perhaps relevant portions of a various guides
need to be compiled under a single wiki topic/page.

It X'mas where I am now, so here's wishing everyone a fantastic week ahead,
and also a very happy new year! Cheers! :D

Sincerely,
Zhi An