discuss: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas

Subject: RE: Linux Documentation needs much work and ideas
From: "Paul Hendricksen" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Dec 2012 21:28:26 +0000

I think this topic is important; Zhi has brought up a lot of the history of use that is very important.  What is critical is to note that TLDP has been a source of information use over many years and in the past 12, the way we seek it is a whole different story.  Back in 1998 and 1999, I used the TLDP a lot because man files were the only other way to learn, I didn't learn that way - I needed to read. HOWTOs came about and started to go the way of the dodo following message boards and wikis.  Now, we have YouTube and it's becoming more and more personal.

Wiki's can be made to accept change "pending" review and also be a solid place to build from because it is database driven.  Hard cutting and pasting is not out of the question, this can be done but the method of attracting new contributors is the key here.  If we don't want TLDP to disappear into an abyss we need to modify its 1) content management system, 2) its presentation and 3) it's user interactions.

Solutions:
1) Modify the wiki to work much like Wikimedia and its database driven design capabilities.
2) Present a modern appeal to the wiki.
3) Allow social media logins for contributions
4) Provide a discussion forum alongside of the discussion list for collaboration.

Thoughts?

Respectfully,

Paul Hendricksen