discuss: Re: Unix Command Line HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: Unix Command Line HOWTO
From: Roger ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2011 10:00:27 +0000

Quickly looking over the title & subtitles, you should probably mention
x11-terms/rxvt-unicode x11-terms/rxvt and swaying more towards rxvt-unicode as
they're more commonly used these days compared to XTerm.

Probably should also make mention of OpenSSH and Screen Multiplexers (ie. GNU
Screen).

A good place, is to start another subtopic and very briefly list only the very
most popular console utilities.

I don't use UNIX, only Linux (CLI) here and some like me, frequently do not use
X (ie. XTerm) only the virtual terminals!

(GNU Screen, VIM, OpenSSH, and at most DWM/Xorg uxing rxvt-unicode terminal.
Oh yea, and Mutt and ELinks for email and www, but I think this is getting a
little off-topic. ;-)

Another method of archiving, distribution packaging and file compression is
mirroring. (ie. rsync)  The Gentoo distribution activily uses rsync for the
operating system package listing, and then uses the usual compressed files for
package files.

There's a lot to write concerning the CLI, but looks like your intended
audience are complete newcomers not knowledgeable of CLI.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/