discuss: Decision Time: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Decision Time: Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: "paul.hendricksen" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Apr 2011 04:21:48 +0100

My fellow LDP users and advocates:

Our beloved site is falling apart.  Like an old house, neglected by
its past owners, and weathered by the storms of yesteryear.  We need
some change.  We have discussed in a 24-48 hour period on an Easter
weekend about the changes we all seek to impose on this historical
landmark in the Linux community.  What we need now is change.

I claim no superiority and I defiantly lack in the skill that most of
you have in this line of work.  But what I do have is the drive and
enthusiasm required to help make this project _useful_ again, I can
write, scrub, and organize.  Like the Manifesto for 2010 states: “the
time when the LDP was the only documentation source is over.”  They
are right.  Our LDP is now lucky to receive even a second look by it’s
old users and probably a even quicker glance by the newer age of
people seeking help, advice, and knowledge.

My generation (the people 18-25) right now area set group that were
born with the technology in our hands.  We expect fast results,
functionality the first time around, and the ability to use technology
when we want to.  The era of research, self-satisfaction of that first
text-based install, and Kernel hacking are all but gone and along with
it the many people who first contributed to the LDP to begin with.

Our niche in the free-world market place is detailed, easy to read,
and functional documentation for the masses.  It has to be clean,
organized, and easy to navigate.  It cannot be clunky, messy, and at
the whim of anyone who wants to contribute.  There needs to be precise
guidelines of the material needed.  There has to be a plan.  Together,
we the LDP advocates need to ban together and scrub the web site.

My argument is as follows: Ubuntu has a great looking and functional
site targeting their distribution.  But for a minute look at the site
as a general GUN/Linux site.  Under the support section is the
distribution specific documents, categorized into sections.  Now zoom
back out and think of a clean cut, GUN/Linux installed onto a desktop,
notebook, workstation, server, etc.  Break it down into specifics:
Motherboards, NIC cards, graphics cards, etc.  Under that,
sub-categorize and now you have the HOWTOs.

Let’s take the stream line approach, reorganize the relevant
information and put it into its general categories, develop a place
where more document specific HOWTOs can go, like a forum.  I am
thinking big, we can make the LDP a central go-to web site for all
your GNU/Linux needs.

From the ground up.

What do you say JDD?  I cannot stop thinking about this. Let’s do it.

ps aux | grep ranting
ranting  1234 0.0  0.0   4321  5678 ?        S    Apr24   0:00 /usr/sbin/ranting
kill -9 1234

-Paul