discuss: The Debian-Jigdo HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] The Debian-Jigdo HOWTO
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jan 2009 08:37:53 +0000

####@####.#### a écrit :

(I add the Peter e-mail as recipient, because I don't know is he is
subscribed)

Hello :-)

Thanks to all for your help :-). I will try to clarify what I think
can be the LDP position on such problems.

>> 0. I am the author of the Debian-jigdo howto.

We are always glad to read LDP authors :-)

>> 1. I would like to maintain the published document.

even more if they are still active and maintaining they document :-)

>> 2. I would like for others to be able to edit the document, as long as I
>> maintain final editorial control (e.g. if someone starts putting
>> objectionable or irrelevent material in the document, I want the authority
>> to remove the edits.  I would also like the authority to fix spelling and
>> grammar).  A wiki sounds like a perfect medium for that.

There are several things in this paragraph.

* you are not at all obliged to put your HOWTO on the wiki. This is
important. You can maintain your HOWTO as usual. But of course you
don't have the users help benefits;

* We ask for a licence mainly to address the situation where the
author is no more reachable (very frequent, alas), to make the HOWTO
able to live. Any of these licences are acceptable:
http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence, we can even accept special
licence after discussion here.

* From the wiki, there are in fact two version of the HOWTO: the wiki
version (quoted as "last one", "alpha" or "beta" one), not mirrored
and IMHO potentially containing errors, and the final "static" version
on the tldp.org Web site, hopefully controlled.

I mean I hope a HOWTO will never be copied to the static part without
at least some sort of verification, if possible by a competent author.
This seems to fit precisely your preoccupations. In fact this is where
I see the LDP different from most present web site: the doc is
checked! I plan to wait for the author to ask us to publish the wiki
before doing so. He can also publish it himself (render to docbook and
submit the docbook document as usual)

* So you can convert the HOWTO to the wiki and still the final
static/mirrored version will be yours. This don't prevent others to
make a fork, but the LDP wont as long as you are here;

* you can also ask to be the only one to have writing rights on the
wiki page. Right now, there is a verbatim copy, unmodifiable here:
http://wiki.tldp.org/Debian-Jigdo. As you may see it's still possible
for users to write on the dicussion page. Of course this is not as
friendly. Users edit often for very small typos or ortograph fixes
that don't fit easily in a discussion page.

thanks again
jdd

--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project