discuss: The Debian-Jigdo HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] The Debian-Jigdo HOWTO
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jan 2009 23:28:22 +0000

Hi, Peter.  Just to be clear, I'm not making any decisions for LDP, or
even for the most part expressing opinions; I'm just letting them know
what's feasible.

Quoting Peter Jay Salzman ####@####.####

> Just out of curiosity, if the HOWTO were to be placed on the GFDL and put on
> a wiki(?) how do content/stylistic differences get resolved?

Beats the heck out of me, really.

To further clarify, I personally am no fan of GFDL, and prefer to
avoid it for anything I create.  Some of my copylefted writings are
CC-SA 3.0, some are GPLv2, some are both, some are OPL 1.0 with no
options, and http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/ is available under your
choice of either proprietary terms or a permissive licence where you
assert authorship.  None is GDFL, which I think is not a good licence.

> For example, if someone were to erase my list of thank-yous and I
> wanted to put them back in, how would that get resolved?

Well, preferably, through courtesy and people not wanting to get a
reputation as being asshats.  ;->

One of the consequences of open source is that it's possible and lawful
for others to abuse _variants_ of your creations (that you have allowed
to be available and redistributed under an open source licence) in a
variety of asshat manners.  Some asshat behaviour is unlawful for legal
reasons not confined to mere copyright violation.  E.g., expunging
author credit tends to commit business torts (and can be curbed through
legal force).

Other asshat behaviour doesn't, within reason, have legal remedies, only
cultural and social ones.

And, believe me, as I said, I'm very much in sympathy with your desire to
make sure a downstream version not to your liking (e.g., a document
stripped of the list of thank-yous) doesn't go around with your name on
it.