discuss: mirrors survey

Subject: Re: [discuss] mirrors survey
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 8 Nov 2008 17:11:46 +0000

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 03:01:52PM +0100, jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:
> hello,
>
> We are working on the mirror list http://wiki.tldp.org/Mirrors.
>
> Many are good, some are outdated or somewhat wrong, in this case I try
> to write to the admin.
>
> Other have nonexistent or empty domain names
>
> I propose to let them stay in the list for *a month* after discovering
> the non existence or sending a letter, then to remove them from the list
>
> advice?

The maintaining of the mirror list has happened every few years or so.
Thanks for doing it again.  One thing that I don't like currently is
that for countries that no longer have a mirror, we continue to list
them anyway.  That's wrong, since people expect a mirror to exist in
that country if we display it in our list of countries.  Upon clicking
on the country (such as Saudi Arabia) one gets a page starting that
there is no longer any mirror there and wouldn't you like to start
one.  This wastes peoples time and is deceptive, since listing the
country in our list implies that there is a mirror there.  So I
propose that the countries that have no mirrors simply be removed
from the list of countries (remove Saudi Arabia, etc.).  I noticed
this years ago but failed to complain about it then, but I'm pointing
it out now that you are updating the list.

For historical purposes it might be nice to know where we once had
mirrors, but I think that since storage is so cheap these days that
historical snapshots of the web are being taken by others.  I wouldn't
suggest saving these countries in a history file since what we have
doesn't name the site.