discuss: who is responsible for the tldp.org domain name

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: who is responsible for the tldp.org domain name
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Nov 2008 11:43:57 +0000

Rick Moen a écrit :

> Anyway, it appears that you need whoever runs ns.unc.edu to edit the
> tldp.org zonefile, to make the desired change.

yes

>> for my own domain name, I do this with the Gandi zone service.
>
> Presumably, your phrase "do this with the Gandi zone service" means you
> aren't doing your own DNS[1], but rather are paying Gandi.net to provide
> nameservers for your domain, and they provide you some Web-mediated
> editing mechanism to remotely edit the domain's zonefile.

yes. Gandi is the registrar of the tldp, and also mine, he let the
owner manage the dns zone (if the owner uses also the gandi dns, of
course) - it's free. I initially thought tldp was assigned some sort
of fixed IP by UNC, but it seems now clear that it's not the case.
tldp.org is managed by the UNC dns and redirected to our servers from
there (pretty usual method)

> located on ns.unc.edu:  More likely, it's done the old-fashioned way

probably

> conversation) fully-qualified hostnames of the form *.br.tldp.org into
> the tldp.org zonefile at ns.unc.edu?

no.

> You still haven't shown that any such subdomain actually exists in any
> meaningful way, by the way.

br, it and es are not hosted by the tldp but by they respective ISP
(enough to clic the front page  link and do a little search to see this)

http://linux.alojate.net/ for es
http://www.pluto.it/ for it
Brasil Telecom S. A for br (this one is said to change)

In fact the LDP have no apache server running (the wiki is direct
access). We could host sub-domain, but we should then create other
vservers (http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org)

> [1] I always find it very strange to find competent Linux users who own
> domains but aren't doing their own DNS.  All it takes is one static IP
> address (which of course I'm aware that not everyone has, but many do).
> Once you setup your own nameserver on such an IP, and it's not
> difficult, you quickly find that there are many people who are glad to
> do your secondary DNS if you'll do theirs.  So, you aren't obliged to
> outsource to ISP nameservers, which inevitably suck in a variety of ways
> including security.

I use a hosted server, not in my house, but my registrar services
(gandi) are easier to manage than my Hosting service one

with only one computer on the net, I don't see any interest of having
my own dns.

but may be we could host the tldp ones (I'll see this later with
Sergius, there is no hurry)

thanks helping
jdd

--